mia in the motherland

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Amelia vs. the Atlantic Ocean

Today I went to the beach with Julie and Kat, because we didnt have class until 5. It was lovely and cool and the waves were enormous and grey. We sat leisurely, relaxing in the African sun (of course my nose burned despite my generous lathering of SPF 50 sunblock). I listened to the new TV on the Radio cd (thank you Ms Evans) and lounged. And suddenly, I was completely awash in a wave that had broken free from the ocean and pounded down onto us - we who sat far up on the beach. Everything with me was soaked except for my cd player, that I held high over my head as I ran further inland. Several kind Senegalese men hurried over and helped us gather our belongings ... my towel that was making its way into the ocean with the awful wave, a flip flop broke free and went too. A not so kind man yelled at us for being stupid. We laughed for a long time until I realized my cell phone had been ruined. That was a little less funny. So now I will carry a life-long vendetta against the cruel and untamable Atlantic Ocean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home