mia in the motherland

Sunday, September 17, 2006

sick and tired

ive been here for a week and have kind of fallen into the swing of things. i can address people in wolof and understand basic greetings, but my comprehension ends there. unfortunately, my entire family speaks only in wolof unless they are directly addressing me, in which case i still cant understand them because they have thick, thick accents and my comprehension sucks to begin with.
i live only a five minute walk from the baobab center, which is nice and easy in the mornings. we usually have wolof class and then some sort of lecture or field trip.
i really like the group of women im with, although i feel kind of stupid since everyone else has been speaking french for years and i only have 1 year of experience.
to make things more difficult, ive contracted an awful cold and feel like my head might explode at any minute. hopefully i will get better soon, since its already difficult enough for me to understand things and i dont want a cold to make things even harder.
i have to go back to my house now, though, since i only have 8 minutes left in this little internet center.

2 Comments:

Blogger carapkitten said...

baby,
i need you now.
i feel you on the lack of comprehension thing...
lets hope, for both our sakes, it will come quickly.
love you!!!
<3

1:37 PM  
Blogger carapkitten said...

so dear,
i was told today that i need you to buy me beautiful cloth/clothing and hot ass jewelry...
when you are done being sick and have learned to navigate yourself through a crazy market conversation, buy me shit... and i will do the same for you.
<3

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home